Holding my breath

I have spent much of the last week feeling like I am holding my breath, all in knots.  It’s the week that I have been dreading since the dates fell into place, the week that both Woo and Willy had surgery.  I am a worrier by nature, so to surgeries meant it hit me doubly hard this time.  By Thursday, the day before Woo’s surgery, I was a grumpy and overtired mess. 

Woo was getting a tooth pulled.  One of his molars was fused to the jawbone and had not erupted.  This was starting to cause him some discomfort, and could lead to big issues with jaw development moving forward, so it needed to come out.  I know it’s a pretty routine surgery, but I was still anxious.  It was such a nice and comforting surprise to see one of my good friends in the waiting room when we arrived at the surgery centre on Friday. Her daughter was having surgery right before Woo, and even though she was feeling many of the same things that I was feeling, her presence both calmed me and distracted me. Still, one of the hardest things that I have had to do was hold Woo as they put him under, then be directed to walk away, leaving him so small and vulnerable on the operating table.  I might have shed a tear or two.

Thankfully the surgery was fast and uneventful.  By the time that Willy arrived from walking Goose to school, they were calling me back to sit and cuddle him in recovery.  We were able to take him home shortly after, and he spent the day lounging on the couch, spoiled rotten.  He amazed me in his ability to bounce back.  He never once complained of pain, and dove right into his normal routine, heading to the park to play soccer on Saturday morning.

We were allowed a brief sigh of relief before we started to prep for Willy’s surgery today.  He had a stapedectomy, an operation that will hopefully restore the hearing in his right ear.  He had this operation performed on his left ear in early 2009, and although he is very sensitive to loud noises now, he can thankfully hear in that ear again.  We have been looking forward to this operation, as his hearing loss has been frustrating for both of us.  There are risks associated with the procedure, so I worry still.

Today was a long day for me.  I had barely slept, was awakened in the middle of the night, and then I had to get the lils to school and Willy to the hospital.  The majority of my day was spent worrying about Willy, so I was very relieved to be called about an hour earlier than expected to come and pick him up. He is now upstairs, sleeping peacefully, as he will be for the next few days.  I still have to make it through the next week, trying to ensure that he gets the rest that he needs and that the lils don’t hurt him or drive us all crazy as they try to be calm and quiet.

Right now they all sleep peacefully, so I close my eyes and slowly exhale.

Category: life, Lils, Parenting | 3 comments

  • Amy says:

    Just reading about you having to walk away from him after they put him under brought me to tears.

  • allison says:

    Eve had minor surgery on her ear when she was three, and I totally get you – it’s minor, but it’s still anesthesia. Angus had to go under to get a broken femur set when he was two – not quite as minor, and I was a basket case. The worst is over – hugs to you.

  • Kathy says:

    My mom had that ear surgery on both ears back in the 80s and the worst thing was after they took the cotton out and she started telling us not to talk so loudly!

  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>